• How do I know if I will qualify for financial aid?

    You should complete the FAFSA even if you think you may not qualify for federal financial aid. You never know what you might receive. The FAFSA is the key to unlocking financial aid in the form of grants, work-study, and loans. In order to be considered eligible for these programs, you must meet the following eligibility requirements: You must have a high school diploma, a General Education Development (or equivalency), or have completed secondary school in a home school setting. You must be enrolled in an eligible program of study. You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. You must submit all required forms and documents requested by the Financial Aid Office. You must meet and maintain satisfactory academic progress requirements for financial aid. You must have financial need (except in the case of unsubsidized loans), as demonstrated by a completed FAFSA and financial aid office review. You must be in compliance with the Selective Service if you are a male. For males between 18 and 25 years of age, you must be registered. You do not owe a refund or repayment on a federal grant. You cannot be in default on a federal educational loan. You must have a valid Social Security number. If you are a dependent student, your parent is not required to have a valid Social Security Number. You have not been convicted of possession or selling illegal drugs while enrolled and receiving financial aid. If you meet all of these criteria, we encourage you to fill out the FAFSA. There are a tremendous number of federal resources available, and the FAFSA is the key to unlocking these funds!
  • I don't think I will qualify. Should I still apply?

    Yes, you should apply. Do not assume that you will not qualify for financial aid. Every year, many students who otherwise would have received financial aid, fail to apply. The Free Application For Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA, can be found online at www.fafsa.gov. It is free to apply. Complete this application even if you think you will not qualify for aid. It is worth the time. If you do not have internet access at home, you may be able to access a computer with internet access on campus or at a local library.
  • I have a 4-year bachelors degree. Can I still receive federal financial aid?

    If you have a Bachelor’s degree, you will not be eligible for the Federal Pell grant program. You may still be eligible for federal loan programs.
  • Do I have to be enrolled full-time to receive financial aid?

    You do not have to be enrolled full-time to receive most forms of financial aid. In some cases, if you are eligible for financial aid, the amount of aid you receive will be determined by the number of units or credits you are enrolled in. Be aware that some grant and loan programs do require students to be enrolled at least half-time or full-time in order to be eligible.
  • Are non-US citizens eligible for federal financial aid?

    If you are not a US citizen, you still may be eligible for federal financial aid if you are determined to be an eligible non-citizen. Generally, the following types of non-citizens are eligible for federal financial aid: A permanent U.S. resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551) A conditional permanent resident (I-551C) The holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing the designations of: · Refugee, Asylum Granted · Parolee (I-94 confirms that you were paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired) · Victim of Human Trafficking · T-Visa Holder (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc), or · Cuban-Haitian Entrant
  • Are international students eligible to receive state or federal financial aid?

    No. International students are not eligible for federal and state financial aid programs. There are, however, a number of privately funded scholarship programs for International students. One useful online resource for International student scholarships is www.iefa.org.
  • I have an Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) flag on my Student Aid Report. What does this mean?

    Beginning with the 2013-2014 FAFSA, the Department of Education will be looking at enrollment patterns over the previous three award years for students applying for federal financial aid. In an attempt to prevent fraudulent activity, students with unusual enrollment history will be alerted that they may have to verify information with their financial aid office. An example of unusual enrollment history would be receiving Pell grant funds at three different institutions over a one or two academic year period. If you receive this notification on your Student Aid Report (SAR), you will need to see your financial aid office to determine what necessary documentation, if any, is required before you can receive federal financial aid funds.