Important Direct Loan Information

  • What are the benefits in the Federal Direct Loan program?

    There are more repayment plans through the Federal Direct Loan program, specifically, the income contingent plan. If a student does not repay their loans in 25 years, the government forgives the balance of the loan. In addition, the interest never exceeds 10% of the loan principal. Federal Direct Lending has the new Public Service Loan Forgiveness program that will forgive remaining debt after 10 years of eligible employment and qualifying loan payments for people working in key public service professions such as teaching, government, social work, law enforcement, and non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations. Since borrowing is directly through the federal government, borrowers make loan payments to the Department of Education for the life of their loans. It's "one-stop-shopping" from loan application through repayment.
  • Where can I find out more information about the Federal Direct Loan program?

    Go to:
  • How do I apply for a deferment or forbearance?

    You may apply for a deferment or forbearance for a year at a time for up to 3 years. To apply for a deferment or forbearance you must complete and submit a Deferment or Forbearance Request Form along with appropriate documentation to your loan servicer. If you are enrolled in school at least half-time, you are eligible for an in-school deferment on your student loan. Your school will communicate your enrollment status to the student loan clearing house where your loan servicer can access this information and grant you an in-school deferment. You will need to communicate with your servicer to ensure your deferment is processed; do not make an assumption that it has been applied. You may also obtain a deferment request form from your school, or by contacting your loan servicer. If you do not know who your servicer is, you can go to the National Student Loan Data System website where you can retrieve this information: If you are unable to make payments on your loan after you leave school you may request a forbearance. To review forbearance options, contact your servicer or go to the website at: